I’m calling this a stroganoff however, in reality the heart of this recipe is about how to turn a handful of mushrooms into something incredible. I find this type of recipe super helpful to have in my arsenal because I’ve almost always got more mushrooms in my fridge than I need. This recipe means mushrooms never go to waste. All weights and measurements are eyeballed, I really want to set people free from feeling bound to a recipe. Cooking shouldn’t be an exact science, it’s an art form. We need to get comfortable and acquainted with our intuition!
INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
170g mixed exotic mushrooms (I used a large punnet)
1 large white onion - chopped
3 garlic cloves - minced
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme (We picked our home grown thyme)
Double cream - about 250ml
Wine (I used a nice Pinot) - a good glug
1 tbsp mustard
A good glug of Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup
Handful of freshly chopped parsley (again we used home grown).
For the Flatbread
500g good quality (preferably organic) strong white flour - if you can get it, stoneground is best.
320g Water (500 x 65% = 320g)
2 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp honey (or something sweet)
PUT IT TOGETHER
1. Combine flatbread dry ingredients and mix
2. Add wet ingredients and get your hands in there!
3. Knead on a floured surface until dough is tight, springy and smooth
4. Cover with a cloth in a bowl until it’s risen to about double the size
5. Take the risen dough and hand shape it on a floured surface (500g yields about 4
6. decent sized flatbreads)
7. I cooked my flatbread directly on the embers of some good quality lumpwood charcoal (no chemicals). You can also use a very hot oven but, trust me, cook it on embers if you can!
8. Get a cast iron pan screaming hot
9. Add a good glug of olive oil to the pan and get the onion and garlic in there (get it moving nice and quickly).
10. As the onions start browning, add the mushrooms.
11. Add the mustard, Geo Watkins and wine and mix quickly
12. Dash in the thyme
13. Add the cream and parsley a few minutes before you’re ready to serve!
14. Serve hot and fresh, straight from the pan with your freshly baked flatbread