- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 5 King oyster mushrooms
- 200g shiitake mushrooms
- 250g Chestnut mushrooms
- 250g button mushrooms
- Oyster mushrooms (to garnish)
- 3 shallots
- 3 clove garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 200g finely chopped smoked bacon (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 500ml red wine
- 250g mixed dried mushrooms
- Geo Watkins mushroom ketchup
- 50g parsley
- 6 sprig thyme
- Knob butter
- Salt & pepper
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Roughly dice the King oyster, Shiitake, Chestnut & button mushrooms – the finer the better – quickly pulse in a food processor if you’re feeling lazy!
- 2. In a large frying pan, cook the mushroom mixture in batches using a little rapeseed oil.
- 3. Its important to really caramelise the mushrooms at this stage, so ensure they are really golden before you take them out of the pan.
- 4. Once Cooked, transfer to a bowl & repeat until all the mushrooms are cooked.
- 5. (If you’re using the bacon, cook until crisp & the add the carrots as below).
- 6. Finely dice the carrot & celery, cook in the pan using a little rapeseed oil & butter until slightly softened.
- 7. Finely chop the shallots & garlic & add to the carrot.
- 8. Gently caramelise the mixture until light golden in colour.
- 9. Meanwhile take 1 litre of boiling water & add to the dried mushrooms, cover with cling film & leave to steep until you have a beautiful dark mushroom stock (around 10-15 minutes).
- 10. Pass the stock through a fine sieve, as dried mushrooms can be slightly gritty.
- 11. Add the mushrooms to the pan with the carrot mix, followed by the tomato paste.
- 12. Cook out for 2 minutes & the add the red wine.
- 13. Reduce the wine to a sticky glaze around the mushrooms & the add the mushroom stock.
- 14. Cook gently until the liquid has reduced to coat the mushroom mix like a sauce.
- 15. Pick the thyme leaves off the stalks, finely chop along with the parsley & add to the mix.
- 16. Add a generous splash of mushroom ketchup to finish the dish.
- 17. Taste & finish with salt & pepper.
- 18. Serve with fresh Tagliatelle Pasta & aged parmesan cheese.
- 19. Enjoy!