INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 1.2kg Sweet Potatoes
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 large leeks, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 tbsp Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Tsp sage, chopped
- Tsp thyme, chopped
- Tsp oregano, chopped
- 4 celery, chopped
- 400g canned chickpeas
- 300g frozen peas
- 300g frozen spinach
- 100ml light coconut milk
- 40g vegan cheese
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Peel and chop your sweet potatoes, plunge them into a panful of cold water and cook for approximately 40mins until soft and prime for mashing.
- 2. While your spuds are cooking heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed pan and throw in your carrots, leeks, onions and stock cube. If the mixture starts to stick add some boiling water.
- 3. Once the veg begins to soften, add your garlic, tomato purée, butternut squash, paprika and other herbs. Cook for around 3mins.
- 4. Next, add in your celery and cook for a further 5mins.
- 5. Now, add your canned chickpeas, including the water, and your Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup. Stir this through and then add in your spinach and peas.
- 6. Cook the mixture for a further 5mins, then set aside to cool.
- 7. Once your potatoes are cooked, drain the water and mash the sweet potatoes. Once thoroughly mashed, stir in your coconut milk to make them nice and creamy. Then set aside to cool.
- 8. Pre-heat your oven to 190C/170C.
- 9. Once cool spoon your vegetable mixture into a heatproof dish and top with mashed sweet potatoes. Sprinkle on top your vegan cheese.
- 10. Bake the shepherds pie for 40-45mins or until the potato mixture is golden and just a little bit crispy.
- 11. Enjoy!